Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Did I Mention The Heat?

Hey all:

Greetings from Durand, Wisconsin. We've been riding a few days now in ambient temperatures in the high 90's with "heat index" temps above 110 degrees. For the most part, you don't feel the heat while riding, but then you begin to feel a headache and some fatigue and realize that you have been slowly cooking for a couple of hours. As we were leaving a town after a short break yesterday afternoon, I looked at the very steep (4 mile) hill we were about to climb and then at the bank clock. It flashed 4:00, then 100 degrees! I guess it wouldn't be an adventure if it were too easy, would it?

Spent an extra day in Stillwater, MN as a rest day from the heat. Nice town on the St. Croix river. Then rode along the Mississippi for a while before heading deeper into Wisconsin. We've been playing leapfrog with two men from England (Tom & Dave) who are doing the same trip as we are (with Montreal thrown in for good measure). They are camping at a nearby park while Jake and I took a hotel room to escape the heat - so Jake and I were able to sneak them in for a shower last night.

With any luck, we will be taking the ferry from Manitowic, WI to Luddington, MI this Saturday. Jake wants to take the one that leaves at one in the morning. Then I explained that we would have to start riding at 6am - the final decision is now undecided.

For some reason my computer can no longer access Wi-Fi, so I'm sending this from the hotel computer. If I can't get it fixed somewhere, I may have to use my smartphone or others' computers, so future blogs will be necessarily short and devoid of pictures. If anyone has any ideas of how to troubleshoot and fix this problem, please let me know.

Well, we're off for another day of pleasant temps near 100. Wish us luck.

Take care,

Rob & Jake

2 comments:

  1. Sad news regarding your computer. With all that this adventure entails, I am not thinking that the loss of Wi-Fi was one of you top concerns. You mentioned that you guys have been slowly cooking in the heat. I am wondering if your computer got baked as well. Keeping yourselves hydrated, top priority. Keeping your computer cool and comfortable, not something I would have thought about.

    Pedal on...but if your tires start sticking to the asphalt, then you know it is time to call it quits for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob and Jake,

    It's been enjoyable to read your notes as you drive across country. It was very heart warming too to read about the 'kindness of strangers' to borrow a familiar quote. I think we all have many stories to share about those kindnesses that far out weigh the offenses.
    I hope you are done with the headwinds and that it is smooth sailing to New England. We are all sweltering this week as well so I feel your pain as I dig out wetland soil samples in Vermont and New Hampshire of carbon analysis.
    Drink plenty of liguids and have a safe trip.

    Drew

    ReplyDelete